This is a very low-effort vegetable tart that really delivers on flavour. Once you’ve made a quick pea & chilli purée all you need to do is spread it on some pre-rolled puff pastry, scatter on the rest of the toppings and pop it in the oven. That’s it.
It’s just as good cold as it is straight out of the oven, which means it’s a great option for picnics or a packed lunch.
Perfect for picnics
Summer is approaching, the weather is warming up, and I’ve been thinking a lot about picnics. In fact, I’m finishing off writing this post just after having a picnic in the park with a friend!
My Kimchi & Cheddar Quiche was the first picnic-appropriate recipe I’ve posted here on Glasgow Sprout, and I’m thinking of doing a little series as I have a few more recipes I’d like to share. Like the quiche, this tart can be eaten hot or cold and while it might not seem all that sturdy straight out of the oven, once it cools it’ll hold firm and be easily transportable.
Pea & Chilli Purée
A few months ago I posted my simple recipe for Pea & Chilli Purée with the intention of following it up with this tart recipe! The purée has multiple uses, but as a base for a tart is probably my favourite. You can blend it until completely smooth or use a food processor and keep it a bit chunky depending on your preference. I find fresh peas as opposed to frozen work better for a chunky purée.
I’ve made this tart with a few different toppings – there are lots of options! Thinly sliced fresh tomato with some basil and feta was my go-to before trying this combination of broccoli, sun-dried tomato and feta. I think this combination works really well, but I’ll usually opt for whatever I have in.
Just make sure that whatever you top the tart with will fully cook within the time it takes for the pastry to cook. Alternatively, partially pre-roast the veg. I’ve used purple-sprouting broccoli here, and I haven’t tested it with standard broccoli, so I can’t confirm whether or not that would roast in time – but I would be tempted to pre-cook it a bit first were I using it.
Pea, Broccoli & Feta Tart
- 200 g Pea & Chilli Purée(half of the recipe)
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- 150 g broccolini or purple-sprouting broccoli
- 6 sun-dried tomatoes in oil roughly chopped
- 50 g feta crumbled
- Preheat your oven to 220°C (220°C fan)
- Spread the purée evenly on top of the pastry, leaving about a 1cm border for the pastry to puff up.
- Evenly scatter the broccoli, sun-dried tomatoes and crumbled feta.
- Cook for 15-20 minutes – check around the 15 minute mark and take it as far as you feel comfortable with before the edges of the pastry get too dark in order to ensure the bottom is cooked.
- Cut into 6 or 8 portions and enjoy!